Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Scotch, Scotch, Scotch.

I consider myself to be somewhat of a connoisseur of whisky and whiskey. So when I read an article on BBC.co.uk about one of my favorite brands being purchased I perked up. Because unlike a brand name, Scotch whisky is a designation. By law, if the bottle says Scotch, it must have been produced in Scotland. So while Ford can remain an American company, its parts can be made in Canada or Mexico and shipped to the US for production, and the end product will still be considered Made in America.

But for Scotch, the maturation and bottling can take place anywhere, so long as the malting and distilling takes place in Scotland. I've even had a whisky that uses Scottish barley and peat, but distills in Oregon. It was good, but it was not Scotch.

Whyte and MacKay owns several other brands as well as the brand bearing their own name;
Dalmore | Fettercairn| Invergordon | Isle of Jura| Tamnavulin
I'm not that much of a fan of Dalmore, but my old roommate and I were particular to the Isle of Jura brand. I would recommend it to anyone who is familiar with Blended Scotch Whisky, but would like to tread off the beaten path of tastiness.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome collection of
Sporrans
Sporran
Sporan
Sporran Scottish
At Scottish Kilt Shop.